Who DOESN’T like a pan of cheesy, hot potatoes?? Didn’t think so. This recipe has been a staple of our family for generations and is sure to please. As with many of the recipes I share on here, this one can be doubled or more if you have more mouths to feed. And, as always, let us know how the recipe turns out for you!
- 4 russet potatoes, sliced into 1/4 inch slices
- 1 onion, sliced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Butter a 1-quart casserole dish.
- Layer 1/2 of the potatoes into bottom of the prepared casserole dish.
- Top with the onion slices, and add the remaining potatoes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- In a medium-size saucepan, melt butter over medium heat.
- Mix the flour and salt, and stir constantly with a whisk for one minute. Stir in milk.
- Cook until mixture has thickened.
- Stir in cheese all at once, and continue stirring until melted, about 30 to 60 seconds.
- Pour cheese over the potatoes, and cover the dish with aluminum foil.
- Bake 1 1/2 hours preheated oven.