Fall is here in the north woods, and nothing says fall like a delicious, home-baked Apple Crisp. This recipe tastes even better if the apples come from your own tree!
Be sure to sprinkle some chopped walnuts on top before you bake, you will never be the same. If you really want to live the dream, try with a homemade whip like the picture. We usually add some home cooked maple syrup to the whip, from the maple tree next to the apple tree! It’s a beautiful thing!
Pro-tip: Bake in a pellet grill or regular grill with indirect heat and a touch of smoke.
Apple Crisp Ingredients
- 12-14 medium-large apples
- ½ c. white sugar
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 c. flour
- 1 c. brown sugar
- 1 stick butter, softened
- 1 tsp. cinnamon again
- Dash of nutmeg
- Chopped walnuts (optional – but recommended!)
Apple Crisp Recipe
- Peel, core and slice apples and put them in a large bowl.
- Pour in white sugar and 1 tsp. cinnamon. Mix until apples are coated.
- Pour apple mixture into 9”x13” baking pan.
To make the apple crisp topping:
- Combine flour, brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg in a separate bowl. Cut in butter until mixture is coarse.
- Sprinkle over apples. Sprinkle chopped walnuts on top. Put in preheated oven at 350°. Bake for 45 minutes.
- Serve hot with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or with homemade whip and maple syrup!