Hipster defined: a person who follows the latest trends and fashions, especially those regarded as being outside the cultural mainstream.
Popcorn: a variety of corn kernel, which expands and puffs up when heated.
Hipster Popcorn is when you take gourmet corn kernels and prepare them in a way that breaks cultural norms, just like that beard on your face!
What You’ll Need:
2.5 to 3 Quart Pot with a lid (Cast Iron or Stainless are good choices!)
A large serving bowl
Organic Pure Coconut Oil
Gourmet Corn Kernels (check out the Magic Pop blend from cornology.com)
Extra Fine Sea Salt
Other seasonings to taste
What You’ll Do
- Start by preheating your pot on a Low-Medium-heat. Most Cast Iron and Stainless pots never need to go higher than the Medium heat setting on a stovetop. Doing so gets the pan too hot, causing your oils to smoke and things to burn easily. Burnt = sticky mess.
- Add 1-2 tbsp of Coconut Oil to the preheated pot. The goal is to be able to completely coat the kernels when they are added. The amount of oils is deliberate – no additional oil is added to the popcorn after cooking. The unique combination of quality butter and coconut oil brings out a delightful taste from the gourmet popcorn.
- Add a couple kernels to the pan and wait until they pop. Once a kernel pops, add enough kernels to your pot to get a solid layer of kernels covering the bottom of the pot. After kernels form a layer on the bottom, add 1-2 tbsp of Amish Butter. More or less to taste of course! This gives your popcorn a nice buttery taste without having some kernels soaked with butter and some that have been neglected.
- Place the lid on the pot, and while holding the lid tight, gently shake the pot so that all of the kernels are evenly coated by the melted oils.
- Let the pot sit on the burner until it starts to develop a healthy popping rhythm for a few seconds. Holding the lid, gently shake the pot every 10-15 seconds, replacing it on the burner to maintain heat.
- Depending on your pan size, you may need to dump some of the popcorn out as it is popping to make more room for the rest of the kernels to finish popping.
- The popping rhythm will begin to slow. Do not leave the pot unattended for more than a few seconds as it will burn easily. Once you are content (or impatient) dump the rest of the pan into your serving bowl. A few unpopped kernels never hurt anybody!
- Season to taste.
How You’ll Make It Hipster
A basic approach to seasoning would be to top with Extra Fine Salt. Some Hipster recommendations include Himalayan Pink Crystal Salt, Lava or Charcoal Sea Salts, or other Sea Salts gathered from unique regions of the world like the Dead Sea or Iceland. Remember: stay true to your hipster self.
Bonus: sometimes when we’re feeling nostalgic, we’ll go back to our roots and bust out White Cheddar Popcorn Topping. Mostly a combination of salt and chemicals, there’s just something magical about adding this sharp cheesy goodness to the top of Hipster Popcorn. It’s really up to you at this point. Make some today and have fun with it!
And as always, if you think our recipes are amazing, you should check out our weld fixtures! Quality Tool Service staff apply the same level of fun, customization, and attention to detail in engineering those as we do building great recipes! Contact us here!